Glasgow's first area of 'common land', used for clothes drying, sheep grazing, concerts, sports and political meetings through the centuries, was Glasgow Green in the heart of the City, next to the River Clyde. However, in the 1800's some very foresighted town planners saw that the city was expanding rapidly, and bought several large areas of land from private owners to be made into Public Parks. Situated in the West End of the city, Kelvingrove was the first of these parks.
Kelvingrove Park was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton, the leading landscape designer of the time. He also designed the Crystal Palace in London. Kelvingrove is a classic example of a Victorian Park. Its design and setting on the banks of the River Kelvin enhance and compliment the magnificent buildings which surround it, such as those of Glasgow University and Park Circus. The world-famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is at the southwest corner of the park.
Features of the park include the 1854 granite staircase near Park Gardens, The Stewart Memorial Fountain, erected in 1872, and the River Kelvin walkway - a peaceful natural haven within a densely populated area of the city, home to a diverse range of wildlife. Sunlight Cottages 1901, Highland Light Infantry Monument 1906, Bandstand and Amphitheatre 1924 and the Honeyman Garden 1972.
More information can be found on our popular Friends of Kelvingrove "Heritage Walk" page.
Also, see this page about the song "Kelvin Grove" by Lyle.
Interesting Fact - Lord Kelvin
The famous physicist William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin was named Baron Kelvin in honour of his achievements, named after the river that flowed past his university. The Kelvin temperature scale, named after its creator Lord Kelvin, therefore derives its name from the river.