Heritage - The "Bengal Tigress" sculpture
Auguste-Nicolas Cain's "Bengal Tigress" (also known as "Tigress and Cubs," "Tigress and Peacock", "Lioness" and the "Kennedy Monument"), stands atop a red granite pedestal designed by John Mossman and was unveiled in the park in 1867 — the same year in which a copy was donated to Central Park in New York City.
Kelvingrove's version was the gift of a son of Glasgow, John Stewart Kennedy, who had immigrated to New York and made his fortune. Whilst on a visit to Paris in 1866, Kennedy visited Cain's studio and was so impressed by this work in progress (for the 1867 Paris Exhibition) that he ordered a copy for his native city and donated it to the Corporation. It is possible that Kennedy was one of the so-called “other citizens” who, along with the lead benefactor, famed telegraph inventor Samuel Morse, jointly sponsored the gift to Central Park. Today it sits, not on a tall pedestal but at ground level, in the Central Park Zoo. There is also a copy — perhaps Cain's original — in Les Jardins Tuileries in Paris.
See the location of the Tigress & Cubs on this Interactive Map of Kelvingrove
New York, Glasgow & Paris
"Tigress and Cubs, by Auguste Cain, was presented to (Central) Park in 1866 ... mid-nineteenth century sculptors like Caine preferred to depict the fierce qualities often associated with them. Auguste Cain was a student of Antoine-Louis Bayre, the most influential animalier in France, as this realistic school of sculptors was called. Here we see the tigress with tense muscles and bared fangs proudly presenting a dead peacock in her mouth to her young cubs eagerly awaiting their next meal. The sculpture, originally placed in a rural park setting, was moved to the newly renovated (Central Park) zoo in 1934." [from the New York City Parks website]